- 90ml clarified butter or coconut oil
- 150gm ragi (soaked in water overnight)
- 500gm desiccated coconut
- 400gm jaggery
- 30gm refined flour
- 5gm cardamom powder
- 100gm cashew nuts, crushed
- 100gm almonds, crushed
- 50ml milk
- 750ml water
- 2gm salt
- 5ml vanilla essence
- Soak the ragi in water overnight. Grease coconut oil on the serving dish or tray.
- Add 1 cup (250ml) hot boiling water to the desiccated coconut and keep aside for 15-20 min.
- Combine desiccated coconut, soaked ragi, jaggery along with water, grind in the food processor until smooth paste is formed.
- Now use a mesh strainer or linen cloth to strain the mixture and don’t discard the pulp away.
- Keep the strained mixture aside.
- Take a wide mouthed heavy bottomed sauce pan, place on low fire, add the coconut oil or clarified butter.
- Once it is hot, put the crushed almonds and cashews, saute for a min.
- Add the strained ragi, coconut jaggery mixture and keep stirring.
- Be patient and keep stirring continuously else it might stick at the bottom.
- Once the mixture starts thickening add the cardamom pwd.
- This will take a long while so keep stirring. Once the water evaporates and the mixture is thick and dense. switch off the gas.
- Pour the mixture on a greased tray or pan. Allow it to cool, after 15-20 mins, cut into diamond shape.
- Can be served both chilled and hot.
Chef Surajbir Singh
Special Pastry Chef
Trainer, Under One Roof