Ingredients (Yields 8 Portions)
- 300gm chana dal (split bengal gram without skin)
- 600gm breakfast sugar
- 375gm fresh coconut grated
- 2gm salt
- 10gm cardamom pwd.
- 25gm clarified butter
- Wash and soak the chana dal in enough water for about 3 hours.
- Pressure cook the chana dal until soft with just enough water to cook it.
- Grind the soft dal with the residual water if any, into a fine, smooth and thick paste
- Transfer the paste into a sufficiently wide and thick bottomed pan.
- Next, grind the scrapped coconut with minimum water as possible to a very fine, smooth and thick paste.
- Add the coconut paste, sugar and pinch of salt to the chana dal paste.
- Cook on medium heat, keep stirring continuously while on heat.
- At first, it is very easy to stir as the sugar will melt and the mixture will have soft, mushy texture. As the mixture begins to thicken, be alert and be prepped up.
- Keep stirring continuously and vigorusly. as the mixture starts thickening further, it will slowly start leaving the sides of the pan and you can see the bottom of the pan while stirring.
- Add the cardamom powder and stir to mix well. The idea is that the mixture should have the minimum moisture and should start coming together to form a ball.
- Add the clarified butter and give it a good final stir.
- Immediately, transfer the mixture on a tray with silpad to be smoothen and shaped with the rolling pin.
- Roll out the dough with the rolling pin at a thickness of one centimetre, when warm to touch, cut into diamond shape and allow to cool.
- Cool down the pieces properly before serving.
Specialist Pastry Chef
Trainer, Under One Roof